Monday, June 11, 2012

A poetry assignment for Easter






http://voices.yahoo.com/easter-not-so-long-ago-distant-shadow-11145070.html?cat=42





 Easter Not so Long Ago, a Distant Shadow



 Excitement fills the early morning air.
As we get up and begin to search, searching high and low.

As one after another discovers yet another colorful basket, still one remains.
Hidden behind the forbidden glass, mockingly hiding with flair-

Pretty candies, trinkets and toys fall from overflowing baskets, still for one the search goes on.
Searching high, searching low, finally pressing of the nose against the window glass, the final basket is found.

The last Easter basket hunt of the day, before the terrible nightmare began, so many long years past-
An unopened camera carried for many day's waiting till the okay would be given, yet in vain was the wait.

Waiting years, the plastic it remained, yet faithful to wait till at long last the final Easter Basket gift was lost to time untold.
Other Easter baskets I'm sure may have passed through that child's hand, but never again would excitement fill the air.

The gift once so treasured and now remains behind the shadowy windows of times past.
A dim and dwindling memory of a child who lived on the third floor apartment right down town, shadows only now remain.

Friends and family from that time long since gone away, was that Easter really so long ago.
Dyed eggs, candies and toys, all filling baskets, waiting for play, all so long ago…

Who knew, who could know that thirty odd years would pass, and time would reveal cruel hearts.
Time has passed, so too, will the lingering memories one day.

Easter now, for that long ago child is not made of trinkets, candies and hidden baskets filled with woe.
Today, Easter is remembered not so much as it is truly the "Passover" that means ever so much more.

So now the door is shut to yesterday's childhood memories, and yet another shadow walks out that old door.
If of another Easter memory I could tell, I'd willingly share, but I'm sorry my dear friend, as I've not so many memories of Easter holidays, of yester year, and now I must close without much flair.

Laugh if you mus,t complain my poem makes no sense, not for Easter, nor for any other holiday.
Yet, I'll stand still behind the glass, pressing my nose to the glass, looking out at you as I see your holding your overflowing baskets, yet, never content, nor happy.

Still yet, I must not stand but for a moment, for you see, soon my Saviour he will call, and I must be on my way.
Never a home here, yet tis soon a home beyond compare I'll see, as I walk through that final door.

Easter, celebrations, Easter so bright colorful, and filled with cheer, yet how it is we neglect to turn away from all that materialist cheer.
My dear, listen closely, for it is for you He is calling, it is for you, it is for I, that He lingered but a moment looking past the pagan practices of that day, which continue even today, He lingered but a moment in time, inside that final tear.

My dear, as the inside of a teardrop cannot truly be hidden, His love shown that day, out shinning many celebrations of that day.
Still today, His love shines, as no Easter story could ever, so now I'll turn as I must soon go away.

Time and distance hides many years.
Yet, never can the promise be broken, for long ago was that grave opened, as life entered in, never to leave.


Yes, my dear, even as our past is forgotten, and lost to time, so too is the stain of sin lost.
If to Him we turn, if within the final teardrop we reside.

A teardrop so clear, shining so brightly because it is His, covering all our shame.
Now my dear, you know it was not for Easter He came.






Easter Not so Long Ago, a Distant Shadow
An Easter memory, and a reminder that Easter isn't the message you need to hear, instead it's the gospel of Jesus Christ.












No comments:

Post a Comment